List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: wording
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2003-08-24 9:24:47

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 15:51, Lauri Watts wrote:
> > >But, in KDE, "directory" and "folder" are two distinct concepts...
> > How are they distinct in KDE?
>
> You guys may as well read all that was said last time this came up:
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-i18n-doc&m=102075660609538&w=2

Having looked at the thread it seems to come down this line:

"""
Option A: use "directory" for filesystem issues and "folder" for the GUI
description.
"""

Which of course raises the question, what happens when you have a directory
being shown in a GUI??? (which is basically our original question) This
dichotomy just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Anyway, looking at Konq and other parts of KDE, the real standard that is in
use right now, is "Directory", with just one exception in Konq, the
"View->Folder Content Reflect Contents" menu item. How about we just fix that
item and declare "Directory" The One True Standard?

(Is it just me but does Konq in FS mode have "Edit->New Directory..." _and_ a
"Edit->Create New->Directory..." menu item.)

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/