List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Annoying blinkie things in menus
From:       john henning <johnlhenning () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-08-23 15:08:11

Greetings to those who are interested in KDE
usability,

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to
ask this question, and please redirect me.  Thanks.

Background: some users are merely annoyed by
   blinkie things in a GUI.  But a few users -
   among them me - are actually physically
   affected by them: headache, nausea.  [I once
   checked with a Psychology PhD active in
   usability about this, and he confirmed that
   my sensitivity is actually not uncommon.]

Ignorant new user: I recently installed SuSE
   8.2, for my first experience with SuSE.  I
   gather that its default environment is called
   KDE, and that it encourages use of a browser
   called Konqueror.  OK, I'll try to use them.

Problem: Annoying blinkie things in the menus.
    Specifically, at the top of a Konqueror
    window it has:
       Location Edit View Go Bookmarks Tools ...
    Click on any of these, and it flashes at me
    approximately 5 times in about 3 seconds.
    Select an item in the menu and it flashes
    approximately 3 times.

    Similar behavior seems to be happening in
    Konsole, although more quickly.

So, how do I stop these blinkie things from blinking?

Homework: I attempted to do my homework before
    disturbing this list: trolled many menus,
    looked in files under .kde/, searched google,
    read several FAQs, but I have not found the
    answer.  My apologies for disturbing you if
    I've just overlooked the obvious.

Please reply directly to me; I will not be
subscribing to the actual list server.

Kind regards
      -john