List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Categories - Toys, Games and Edutainment
From:       William Leese <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2003-08-23 13:03:30

Mystilleef wrote:

>Hello list,

Hello. Hope you don't mind me changing the 'Subject' field.

>I suggest placing "toys", "games" and "edutainment" under one  new category
>called "entertainment".  Having three related groups take up individual space
>under Kmenu is redundant.

I agree that some kind of consolidation would be nice with these
categories. I don't think 'Entertainment' is a good name though because
it implies audio and video applications are to be found there. Also I
feel 'Games' should remain a distinct category. Games and toys only have
entertainment in common. Toys being a very mild form of entertainment
requiring little attention. Games OTOH are something that require your
full attention. So you might start an application in toys on a whim, you
don't do this with games. So starting one of the applications previously
in toys and as some suggest now in Games you'll be surprised to find not
something you can enjoy hours on end, instead you get something that
barely entertains you for minutes and doesn't require the attention you
were willing to give.

Hope I'm making sense. What it comes down to:

Toys - Mild entertainment. Little attention required. Not something your
going to spend much time on.
Games - High entertainment. Full attention required. Something you will
do for a relatively long time.

- wvl