List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: K Menu Categories
From:       William Leese <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2003-08-22 21:48:03

Sander Devrieze wrote:

>Op vrijdag 22 augustus 2003 23:02, schreef William Leese:
><snip>
>

>>3. Office holds all KOffice applications. By changing the name to
>>Productivity we could group applications that currently do not strictly
>>belong to the Office category, but are related in that they're often use
>>for some form of personal administration (vs. company administration).
>>4. PIM is a category that sprung to life because of the kolab client
>>efforts. All it's applications could easily be placed in Office (or
>>Productivity).
>>

>IMO Office is better because "producivity" don't say much to a user: he will
>better understand "office" I think.

Productivity might be less triggering than Office, but the difference in
minimal IMO. But that isn't the point. The point is that we have all
these applications are related in that they provide some kind of
administrative aid: word processors, spreadsheets, but also finance and
contact managers. With a limited number of categories the name isn't
that important as long as everything is categorized consistantly.

><snip>
>

>>If we remove the oddities we're left with:
>>
>>Development
>>Edutainment
>>Games
>>Graphics
>>Internet
>>Multimedia
>>Productivity
>>Preferences*
>>System
>>Toys
>>Utilities
>>
>>* This will not be an application category, but rather an item under
>>'Other Actions'.
>>

>IMO it's better to have this in the main menu so that people don't need the
>spill much time by searching the settings when they want to change somthing.
>It's also good that people see everytime this item in the main menu for
>marketing reasons ("KDE the configurable desktop environement!").

I don't quite understand what you're trying to say. If you're saying
what I think you're saying: 'Preferences' is basically the equivelant of
'Settings'. In my suggestion 'Preferences' would be added to the K Menu
by default.

>>Which is remarkably similar to GNOME:
>>

>And why should it look like Gnome?

Consistency is a consequence here, not a goal. But if it comes at a
cheap price then why not.

- wvl