List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Ark description: 'Zip' vs 'Compression' vs 'Archiver'
From:       Henrique Pinto <stampede () lagoaminas ! com ! br>
Date:       2003-08-21 22:16:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 21 August 2003 15:57, William Leese wrote:
> The problem is that ark does both. Because there is limited space to
> describe the application you have to prioritize either the archiving
> aspect or the compression ascept. Unless we can agree that we can use
> 'File Compressor/Archiver'? I don't like this approach, because it'll
> lead to lengthly descriptions.

First of all: is the term 'file' really necessary? The first word of the
description should be chose in such a way that it will lead you to the proper
function of the app. If "Online Dictionary" was considered bad, why shouldn't
"File Archiver"?

And now comes my argumentation for why I think having the description reading
just "Archiver" is the best option: Archiving files is the main task of Ark.
Of course archives can be compressed, but that is not always the case, and
that's also not the main role of the program. We should favor correctness
rather than trying to describe _everything_ a program can do, and we must
also not confuse the user (that's why konqui's description isn't "GUI shell"
or "Generic viewer"). The concept of archiving is pretty clear and I don't
think many people will have difficulties with it.

BTW: Gnome seems to adopt the term "archive" too, but instead of calling
FileRoller an "archiver" they call it an "Archive Manager".

--
	Henrique Pinto
	stampede@coltec.ufmg.br