List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Ark description: 'Zip' vs 'Compression' vs 'Archiver'
From:       William Leese <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2003-08-21 18:09:29

David Hugh-Jones wrote:

>not everybody knows what "Archiving"  is. I suspect they think more about "zip
>files", or "compression", with "zip" having a lot of instant recognition.
>
>"file (un)zipper"?
>"file compressor"?

This is a hard one admittedly.

I'd like to suggest "File Archiver" which is a slight, slight
compromise. I guess this is one of those "Who are the users we're
looking out for?" decisions.

- New computer users are unfamiliar with 'zip' and might not understand
what is meant by 'compression' in the context of computers either so
'File Archiver' works nicely.
- Existing Windows users will understand both and are likely to have a
harder time with the term archiving. So 'File (Un)zipper' here.
- Existing *nix users know what they're doing anyhow.... :)    'File
Archiver' sounds nice and generic to them I'd think.

- wvl