List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Descriptions Take 1 - Utilities
From:       William Leese <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2003-08-21 17:09:35

Hello list,

I'm cleaning up K Menu descriptions.

I set the following goals:
- Descriptions shouldn't be any longer than necessary.
- There's no need to repeat 'tool', 'utility', etc when the category
reflects this.
- They should be easy to scan. One way I want to accomplish this is by
having the first word in the description represent what the user is
looking for. Hence 'advanced', 'simple', etc should not be used as the
first word.

Don't read any further if you consider the above to be the incorrect
approach, and just comment on that instead of that below.

Note that I'm using my own KDE setup so I have applications that are not
included in the base install. Nevertheless I'll try to improve the none
base application descriptions aswell.

Here are the changes I propose. Please provide constructive critique and
don't forget to suggest alternatives.

kdict: Online Dictionary -> Dictionary

kdeprintfax: Fax Utility -> Fax

kandy: Mobile Phone Tool -> Mobile Phone Syncronizer

kpilot: PalmPilot Tool -> Palm Syncronizer

knotes: Popup notes -> Sticky Notes

kgpg: ''-> Encryption Keys

kcalc: Scientific Calculator -> Calculator

cdbakeoven: CD Burning Program -> CD Burner

aarson cd copy: Aarson CD Copy -> Copy CD

aarson: ''-> CD Burner

ark: Archiver Tool -> Archiver

kalarm: Reminder Message Scheduler -> Reminders

- wvl