List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE3 defaults
From:       William Leese <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2003-08-19 20:33:00

Waldo Bastian wrote:

>>>Maybe also show the desktop in the tooltip from items in the taskbar?
>>>

>>Hum. One question (for everybody) :
>>- What is/are the reason(s) to have more that one desktop and display
>>windows of ALL desktops in the taskbar, regardless of there desktop ?
>>For me, have mutli-desktops can free the taskbar of all windows from
>>other desktops, and only play with a restricted part of windows, easy to
>>manage and grouped by task (game on desk1, web on desk2, dev on
>>desk3...).
>>- So, why all windows are shown by default in the taskbar (or is it the
>>case in 3.2) ? It's useless (for me), and can disturb users : "How a
>>good feature ! I will try to click on '2' and... that's all ! My windows
>>are there, as before (but minimized). Strange useless feature". And they
>>will ignore these 4 strange squares.

It's a bit of a compromise I think. This way you can't lose any windows
and gain some desktop space. I actually use virtual desktops this way.
It means that my desktops are pretty clean (1-3 windows) yet I can
access all applications with a single click.

For me it's the best of both worlds but that's because I've always
worked in a similar fashion (using blackbox for several years :).

- wvl