List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE3 defaults
From:       Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze () pandora ! be>
Date:       2003-08-18 20:29:23

Op maandag 18 augustus 2003 15:38, schreef Sébastien Laoût:
> > Reason for the improved visibility is the fact that the Pager has a
> > blank space to it's left most of the time, as opposed to having it
> > inbetween an icon and the taskbar. The layout of the panel is like so:
> >
> > [start applications] [running applications][various applets]
> >
> > Any argument to keep it on the left?
>
> Yes, I have.
> IMO, a more hyerarchical way is :
> [start apps] [choose desk] [running apps of this desk] [various applets]
> First, you choose your active desktop, and then you choose your
> application. In a western-culture : left to right.
> I also think the "Show windows of all desktops" must be defaulted to off

Wasn't this already like this? I time ago I suggested in a thread about the
size from kicker (low resultions problem) to have default numbers without
preview because this needs less space. I thaught this was agreed and
done...isn't this behavior anymore like this? :s

> !! Users are confused to change desktop and have no feedback

If you use Ctrl+F1/F2/... to change desktop or when you use the magic screen
edges functions to move windows from one virutal dekstop to another, you get
this too, you get feedback (here it is, I don't know if this feedback is
default). The problem is, is that you don't get this feedback when you just
click on another desktop in the pager view. IMO this behavior should be also
there (and default).

> (entries in
> the taskbar are the same :-/ ).

Maybe also show the desktop in the tooltip from items in the taskbar?

<snip>

<snip wrong qoute>

off topic: Doing this is very difficult...

> > > - konqueror ('Home'): turn off underline filenames
> >
> > yeeeeeeeees! I hate that underline.
>
> No ! If we activate the single click, display icons underlineds can help
> users so do the near with web link and quickly learn to click only one
> time.
> But, in double click environment, underlining can be removed !

I agree.

- --
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.