List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE3 defaults - kpersonalizer
From:       Tim Jansen <ml () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2003-08-17 21:23:18

On Sunday 17 August 2003 16:28, William Leese wrote:
> Please select up to 8 tasks you'll most often perform on this computer.
> An icon will
> be created on the panel for easy access to each of the selected tasks.
> Note that
> these tasks will be available from the KMenu at all times.
>
> [X] Web Browsing
> [X] Emailing
> [X] Writing documents

This is bad, because
a) people who already know KDE do not want to write a document, they want the
specific app that they know
b) people who do not know KDE will be stuck with their selection forever if
you do not teach them how to configure Kicker or make it *really* easy.
Rather find a good way to teach this than preconfigure Kicker without giving
them any easy way to correct their mistakes. I would bet that some people
would reinstall KDE or their distribution just to change the Kicker settings
(when I started with Linux I did this a few times to change my system
configuration - reinstalling with the relatively easy-to-use installation
tools was easier than configuring the system by editing text files)

bye...