List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE3 defaults
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2003-08-17 13:13:07

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 04:20:28PM -0700, Neil Stevens wrote:

> > > A text editor is a basic feature of a unix environment, though.
> >
> > Of a CLI not GUI.
> This isn't about UIs, this is about OSes.  kde-usability cannot detach KDE
> UI and usability from the OSes KDE runs on.  Until every underlying
> configuration file of every system setting on every operating system is
> implemented with a KDE UI, then even novice users will have need for text
> editors from time to time.  Novices will probably be reading a tutorial or
> being guided by another user, but they still need the text editor.

There should not be that necessity.
If anything rather add to kcontrol possibility to edit config files and
restart services automagically.
Yeah, I know, *nix old-timers will cry.

> > > The new user has no fewer needs than the existing user.  Plus,
> > > multiple desktops are critical for the task-based SDI design.
> >
> > Many users have problems working with more than one window at a time.
> > Do you expect they will manage multiple desktops?
> I don't expect those users will be capable of using KDE without some
> instruction.
> You don't honestly expect to dumb down KDE to the point where someone off
> the street who has no prior knowledge of how to use a computer will be
> able to sit down and use KDE without any instruction, do you?

90% of Windows users I know started their acquitance with computers in
that way. Why should I expect something different with KDE?

Costs of retraining for use of Linux is Microsoft FUD. In most
offices/institutions etc. there will be _no_ retraining (or will last
5 minutes). KDE should make switch for those users as easy as possible.

> > > This option is not practical. The problem is most descriptions are
> > > long or identical.   Also it makes the menu way too big.
> >
> > They don't know what names mean. Please read Relevantive report.
> The what?

Look in archive.

m.