List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: relevantive - korganizer
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-08-14 23:09:08

On Thursday 14 August 2003 04:27, Simon Edwards wrote:

> > > No, because the  line edit is there so that people can also just type
> > > in
>
> or
>
> > > paste the date easily. If you want to display the date using localized
> > > strings (i.e. 14. August 2003), you run into all kind of trouble
> > > parsing the dates.
>
> It's a tricky problem. Concerning reading dates, there is little doubt
> that:
>
> Sun, 16 August 2003
>
> is the clearest and less prone to error format. (The US Army studied this
> years ago, they even tried using roman numerals in places, ouch.) But it's
> a tricky input format. I guess ideally you should be able enter dates in
> whatever format you like, korganiser would then parse and format the date,
> giving immediate feedback as to what the machine understood the date to be.
>
> Parsing of some kind might be unavoidable. Splitting dates into tidy fields
> is good for data validation, but is a major PITA for people who need to
> enter stuff.

i think the challenge is that people have so many ways of entering free text
dates, and when you add l10n on top of that........ the US Army can at least
rely on English, and can also dictate pretty rigid data input standards.

speaking of l10n, i wonder if the order of the widgets in your UI file would
need to be dynamically changed around for different locales, to reflect local
date input mechanisms? i have a feeling the answer would be "yes"...

having a RO text label showing the date in localized format with the pop-up
calendar seems like a decent idea to me?

> > > program, then play sound, and if none of these is set, its action is
> > > display message).
> >
> > ah, so it should be radio buttons then...
>
> This just isn't going to fit in my design. The sound and program parts
> really need to looks something like:
>

> (*) Play sound: [linux_pronouciation.wav_______] [Choose...]
>
> showing what is currently entered.

that's fine... just enable the widgets associated with the currently selected
option and disable the rest.. this is pretty common usage...

- --
Aaron J. Seigo