List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Suggested keyboard shortcuts for desktop/window navigation
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <sebastien.laout () tuxfamily ! org>
Date:       2003-08-14 10:31:22

> > There is currently no real convincing way to navigate between windows in
> > KDE, Ctrl+Tab and Alt+Tab are a bit awkard IMO, especially because you have
> > to use the Shift-key to get back.
>
> Personally I would love to see Ctrl+Tab freed up for use switching between
> tabs or documents in a single app. (Yes, just like windows).
Yes it's fundamental to allow Alt+Tab and all Windows style shortcut for
"Windows migraters". The proposed way is to asign these shortcut to the
"alternate shortcuts", and that is possible without loosing anyone.

> > Because KDE uses (unlike Windows and MacOS) multiple desktops, we need a
> > 2-dimensional way to navigate.
> > Therefore I suggest adding the following shortcuts:
> >
> > - Switch to Next Desktop: Win+Left
> > - Switch to Previous Desktop: Win+Right
> > - Walk Through Windows: Win+Down
> > - Walk Through Windows (Reverse): Win+Up
>
> Here's an idea I just had. Maybe Win+Up/Down/Left/Right could move the
> currently focused window x pixels up/down/left/right. (x=10,20,etc, pick a
> good number.) While Win+Shift+Up/Down/Left/Right could resize the current
> window by x pixels. AFAIK window moving and resizing isn't possible from the
> keyboard right now, which is kind of odd since you can do almost everything
> else from the keyboard.
Yes, also a good idea.
Personnaly I alwase maximize windows, so I never resize-them (or with
Alt+RMB+move) : so I'm not concerned (but I'm "special" :-D ).
The most peoples prefer to use the mouse, so they willn't use this
(perhapse...).

> > For consistency I'd like to also suggest:
> > - Switch to Desktop x: Win+Fx
>
> Or just Win+x, Fx is a awkward to reach.
Yes, if you want. But actually (I've KDE 3.1.0) it isn't possible to
assign shortcut with the Win key : the Win+Fx will give we a new
dimention (Ctrl+Alt+Fx, Ctrl+Fx, Alt+Fx... Fx is quite fully used and
Win+Fx, whatever it is assigned, is welcome (I found not intuitive to
manipule desktops few times with the Fx keys and few times with the x
keys) ! ).

> > With these shortcuts you would have all Window-operations under the Win-key.
>
> Is it possible right now to use the 'Context menu' button as a compose key for
> doing accents etc? The function of the 'Content menu' button is kind of
> pointless since it is do closely tied to the location of the mouse pointer.
> (i.e. you have to move the mouse first before you can use the button, then
> you might as well just click the RMB too.)
Hum : in my current KDE it isn't possible to use the Menu key to assign
shortcup.
You've pointed a good problem ! Use one key for only one think (show
context menu, or Kmenu for the Win key) is a waste of keys :-) Since it
isn"t often used and it's positionned near modifiers, so it must be a
modifier : I (very) often use shortcut and hotkeys (to launch all my
applications, to do various thinks, etc...) and I also need more
modifiers :-)

But, you've pointed a think : the 'context menu' key must be used with
the mouse.
It's quite true the most times, but not in Konqueror for example : we
select one (or more) file with the direction keys on the keyboard and
show it's context menu with this key (heu... it doesn't function in my
KDE 3.1.0 :'-( but I was used it often in Windows).