List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: relevantive - korganizer
From:       Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold () kainhofer ! com>
Date:       2003-08-13 18:18:34

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

>> Uhm, you mean to explicitly add code to use the first line of the
>> description when no summary is given?
>
> and this funcationality isn't abstracted away in a base class that has a
> subject() method?! if not, then that's a much more fundamental problem in
> KOrganizer...

This is not a problem (well, it's no problem at all) in KOrganizer, but in
libkcal, which does the handling of the calendar entries for KOrganizer.
And there is of course the KCal::Incidence base class which provides a
summary() method.

> such things should be standardized in base classes to ensure
> consistent handling! i'd really expect something more like this:
>
> QString KOEvent::subject()
> {
> if (m_summary.isEmpty())
> {
> return m_description.firstLine(); // yeah, psuedocode
> }
>
> return m_summary;
> }

This is fine, as long as you don't want to use the summary further. Problems
arise when you sync that item to the handheld and then back to KOrganizer.
The KPilot conduit will get the first line of the description as the
summary and copy that over as summary to the handheld. Now on the next sync
(when the entry was edited on the handheld), the summary will be set
(KCal::Incidence::setSummary(QString)) from the handheld, and now we have
the situation of my first mail, where the summary is explicitly set.

Anyway, we might just let the editor dialog set the summary from the first
line, if the summary is empty, and just don't try to keep these two in
sync.

Reinhold