List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RMB - once again
From:       Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze () pandora ! be>
Date:       2003-08-12 7:03:40

Op dinsdag 12 augustus 2003 02:22, schreef Henrique Pinto:
> Hi,
>
> On Sunday 10 August 2003 10:55, Sander Devrieze wrote:
> > ...but also possible to dissable. (Don't ask this again e.g.)
>
> Huh?

It's about the popup. :)

> > And much people are too lazy to spend time to change the default
> > application manually...like me :D
>
> But some are not. And these people wouldn't want to be bothered by popups.

But this applies also on other popups...IMO it's better to get an advanced
option somewhere in KControl to turn of *all* such popups.

> Of course those popups shold offer a "Don't show this dialog box again"
> option, but that rises an issue. They have two options ( "Change" and "Not
> change", of course worded in another way). What should be the default if
> the user chooses not to see the dialog again?

Not change of course.

<snip>
> > Why?
> > o People don't use this functionality much.
>
> Do you have data to backup this statement?

No, but I see 2 kind of people I know who use MS Windows: some people know
this functionality and use it. Others don't know it and don't use it. The
difference between these groups is that the first is much smaller and have
much more experience with computers than the second. Of course this is only
with people I know, but I think this will be the same if you do some tests
with a lot more people.

> > o People will not know that this functionality exists.
>
> Most people don't know it is possible to resize a window by holding the ALT
> key and pressing the right mouse button. Should this functionallity be
> removed only because of this?

IMO the functionallity you suggests may exists but it should be default
dissabled because it's more "dangerous" than for example the alternative
ALT-RMB click way.

> > o People will get disappointed if they click wrong and so change their
> > menu without knowing why it changed. (They will feel they have no control
> > and this will results in fear when using KDE.)
>
> Of course that should be done in a way that prevents this type of accident.
> There should be a sensible delay before it gets activated.

And so it will be much faster to start some menu editor... :p (too slow
reaction is also bad for usability)

> > o Doing it in another application makes it possible to add advanced
> > functionallity in a simple and usable way. (e.g.: we can add the
> > possibillity to change the actions in the Actions >> submenu.)
>
> And why implementing this functionality would stop you from doing this? Or
> do you think one wouldn't need KMenuEdit anymore as soon as this gets
> implemented.

I'm talking about making KMenuEdit usable for other menus too...so I don't
understand your reaction?

> > o It will be easier to disable this functionallity with kiosk without
> > having users complaining that their is a bug in their menus (they can't
> > edit it).
>
> I'm not sure I understood this statement fully. Preventing my users from
> accessing /, having shell access and other things is actually a feature for
> me, not a bug. And my users don't think KDE is buggy just because they
> can't browse /etc. Why would this be different?

It's easy to understand for a user that the warning popped up when he tries to
start the menu editor, applies to always. If people get this warning when
they RMB click in a menu, they might think that this warning only applies to
the current directory/menu/place in the menu/... and so they needs to get
this warning also on other places before they will know that it applies on
all menus everywhere.

> And users getting confused by KIOSK restrictions is a problem that should
> be dealt by the sysadmin, not KDE. Is he the one who chooses what
> restrictions to apply or not.

I don't agree: KDE should deal too.

<snip>

- --