List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Recents apps in KDE menu confusing for users.
From:       William Leese <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2003-08-11 5:44:27

Gérard Delafond wrote:

>Le Dimanche 10 Août 2003 22:11, William Leese a écrit :
>

>>Simon Edwards wrote:
>>

>>>On Sunday 10 August 2003 21:00, William Leese wrote:
>>>

>>Take a look from the perspective of a computer newbie.
>>
>>User logins in to find a nice, shiny KDE desktop. He then decides he
>>wants to install a game (linux, games, hah! ;) that he bought on a
>>cdrom. He inserts the cdrom in the cdrom drive.
>>Now what?
>>
>>The clicks on the KMenu. The only option that will bring him to his
>>cdrom is "Home (Personal Files)", or "Quick Browser" (which most of us
>>admit, is a useful tool for geeks), or "Konqueror Web Browser"?
>>The user isn't given a single option to view/play/run the contents of
>>the cdrom.
>>

>Why not to put a "Drives" item in K menu ?

Because the average user doesn't want to know about 'drives', he just
wants to get to his cdrom/floppy. Presenting the user with a list of
partitions would just be confusing ("hey, this looks like my home
directory. I already have that under home. It's probably just a copy."
<zap> - unlikely, but you never know :).

- wvl