List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Accelarator keys and KMenu (was Re: Recently used programs)
From:       Stian =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8iland?= <stian () soiland ! no>
Date:       2003-08-10 21:58:16

On 2003-08-06 10:51:38, David Goodenough wrote:

Agreed, pressing "M" in the K-Menu .. (ARGGGH! Just diskovered soMe bugs
in K-Menu.. I aCCidentally used "C", "M" and "K" as hotkeys for
openoffie appliations.. and even if I disabled theM, I still an't use
those letters. So exCuse My teMporary 1337 writing skillz =)

Another thing, if I Change soething in the KMenu Editor and seleCts
another Menu iteM (exaMple: to disable hotkeys for all openoffiCe
iteMs =) ), the Changes are NOT stored. There is not even a warning or
anything telling that My Changes are lost. Bad! =)

Back to business, pressing M in the K-menu should jump right to the
"Multimedia" menu and just skip "Media player" in recent applications.
The recent applications are always on the top, reachable with a maximum
of 4 mouse-downs, they should not need more shortcuts (if so, at the end
of the letter-cycling-round described below)

> 1)  If I am on an entry that start with say an O, and I press O again, should
> it not find the NEXT entry that starts with an O, not the same one again.

Yes! And the underlined O.. every accelerator key (the first for each
letter in the given meny) should be underlined as well, this will give
users a clue of what is happening.

> 2) Some packages (for example Open Office) have all their entries starting
> with the same letter, this makes the accelarator scheme useless.  Should
> these packages have bugs reported against them?

Well.. they should better be named:

  Openoffice.org (menu)
       Calc
       Draw
       Math
       Writer

But most importanly, OpenOffice.org-programs should be moved to the
normal "Office"-folder along with Koffice-items and Korganizer. This is
a job fr distributors though, not KDE.

Your problem with similar names appear lots of places if menus are
displayed in the form
    Application (Description)
instead of
    Description (Application)

since so many programs are kalled K-something =)

What about using & in the name to define the 'underlined letter'? Why
does it not work? (maybe because I'm historyless and it's some other
letter? =)

--
Stian Søiland               Work toward win-win situation. Win-lose
Trondheim, Norway           is where you win and the other lose.