List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RMB - once again
From:       "Friedrich W. H.  Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2003-08-09 13:02:04

Am Samstag, 9. August 2003 03:41 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Friday 08 August 2003 03:24, Matthew Bonyak wrote:
> > On Friday, Aug 8, 2003, at 16:33 America/New_York, William Leese wrote:
> > > I'm wondering if most users really use preview. In what way does
> > > 'Preview'
> > > differ from opening the file in an application? All it does is open
> > > the file
> > > in a 'lite' application.
> >
> > Every time I introduce somebody to KDE, I devote a great deal of time
> > to explaining the difference between Open and Preview.  It's time for
> > Preview to go.  Preview annoys most users more than anything.
>
> throwing the baby out with the bath water, IMHO

IMHO, too :) I would rather fork KDE than living without it (uhm, what did I
say? Puh, it's hot here...) Especially when organizing files it is very
useful to have this "show content" feature (aka preview).

> previews are highly useful for many, and are primarily an issue due to no
> feedback that it's a preview and how to get to edit mode. there are
> solutions that "just" need to be coded... and they will be, one day, i
> promise...

Yes. You promise? Great! :)

Like extending each app's "File" menu entry to offer close to all what
konqueror's RMB/document menu offers? Open with..., move to..., rename, copy
to public dir, properties, move to trash, etc.? You would make my day, even a
whole month :))

I mean why should there be a difference between file handling in konqueror and
in an app? It is about the same file.

Friedrich