List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RMB - once again
From:       b.walter () free ! fr
Date:       2003-08-09 10:54:24

Selon William Leese <william@leese.nl>:

> Open
> Actions -> View (Embedded Viewer)
>                     Edit (Kate)
>                     -----------------------------------
>                     Encrypt File
>                     Print..
>                     -----------------------------------
>                     Other..

That's actually a good solution. Problem is that most users won't really know
which submenu to choose (preview, open, actions).
The Edit File Type configuration dialog could be somehow extended to add the
possibility to create some custom actions. Then it would be possible to add
new actions, remove actions (something that the user cannot manage for the
moment).
It would also help to highlight the default action.

Example of dialog :

File type: JPG
Group : Image

Actions :
Preview in Konqueror (Default)
Edit with the Gimp
<Separator>
Edit
  Rotate 90°
  Rotate 180°
  Rotate 270°
  <Seperator>
  Horizontal Flip
  Vertical Flip
Print...

[New Action] [New Menu]
[Delete] [Edit] [Default]

The problem is actually more complex because there are some actions which
apply to a whole group (Images). That can perhaps be solved using a dropdown
(actions of Images/JPG, actions of Images, ...) ?
As usual, I could help and implement such a solution, the problem is only to
come to an agreement and avoid loosing too much time coding something that
will never be applied...
I am not very optimistic however, I think we are always in a sort of
deadlock...

Benoit.