List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RMB - once again
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2003-08-07 13:23:33

Hello,

Disclaimer first (probably I should add this to my first post):
Yes, I know there were discussions about popup menus but beside delete
unification nothing was implemented AFAIK. Maybe because discussions
were about only single items or developers seemed this as unsignificant
issue. Trying different attitude and reminding about them once again may
help. If I know C++ I would wrote patches myself - but I don't know thus
this is only one way to help to improve KDE (don't offer writing docs
- my English is rather poorly :( ).

OK - my proposition raised two controversies:
a) removing of "Edit File Type..."
b) Open, Preview items

With a) on kfm-devel was compromise to put it in "Open With >" menu (to
be exact: Open With > Other... > Edit File Type [button]) Author: Waldo
Bastian

b) is still without agreement:
My POV:
RMB should provide some extension to default behaviour. Without that
there is no sense to put this item into RMB. Put "Open" and let Konq
resolve that - in this way there is little sense to insert even "Open"
- just click on item.

Currently are few ways to open file in Konqueror:

Open in new window
Open in new tab/background tab <- this can be easily handled by Konq
Open here
Open in other application

First three are opening file in embedded viewer but in different places.
I think it can be resolved:

Open        <- start separate application, basing on MIME
Preview     <- and let Konq resolve - new tab, new window [1]
Open With > <- for choosing from various applications, also embedded

In this way we can reduce fromi up to 6(!) items in menu for
opening/viewing to 3.

m.

[1] Here is potential conflict: default I am opening in new tab but
sometimes I want to open in new window. But in this case user can detach
newly created tab. Is