List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Rename icons inline
From:       Gordon Tyler <gordon () doxxx ! net>
Date:       2003-07-31 14:53:35

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> the problem, of course, is that with single click activation, renaming of
> files is made more difficult since you have to "rubber band" select the file
> and then hit F2 or use a menu... there have been several discussions here and
> elsewhere in the past about ways to fix this...
>
> and IIRC other OSes treat clicks to the text area of an icon differently as
> well... in any case, i'll be doing some RLU testing sometime this week to see
> how it goes.

Just to provide some perspective on That Other OS, Mac OS X ;) ...
Single-clicking on the icon selects the file. Single-clicking on the
filename starts the inline rename _regardless_ of whether the file was
selected. Double-clicking either the icon or filename opens the file.

The single-click to rename even when it isn't selected is somewhat
confusing at first because I'm used to Window's click-to-select,
click-to-rename, although I tend to use F2 far more often in Windows. I
guess it just takes getting used to.

I suppose their logic was that if you want to edit the name, it makes
sense to click the text and start typing as if it were any other
editable text. The default view mode of the Finder is the large icon
view so clicking the icon to just select is not as difficult as it is in
a detailed list view.

Ciao,
Gordon