List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Desktop icons
From:       Laur Ivan <laur.ivan () corvil ! com>
Date:       2003-07-29 14:44:05

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 12:04, Craig Drummond wrote:
> > > Would it not be better to number from 1 and not 0 - starting from 0 is
> >
> > mo
> > re
> >
> > > of a programming concept. Also maybe you should only have the number if
> > > there are more than 1 of a device type? Plus, leave a space between
> >
> > "Dvd"
> >
> > > and "1" - i.e. "DVD 1" -- looks nicer.
> >
> > imho, numbering is a nice way out of the problem. however, I think it
> > should be used as a last resort.. I think it'd be nicer if you could have
> > the device name (where applicable) in the name: something along the lines
>
> Yeah this is obviosuly *much* better - I was just pointing out that *if*
> numbering was to be used - starting from 1 (if and only if >1 device) looks
> better.

Totally agree here.

> > "DVD 1" => "NEC DVD"
> > "DVD 2" => "Sony DVD/RW"
> > "USB 1" => "Fuji Camera USB"
> > "USB 2" => "64M USB Stick"
>
> But again, surely the name only matter if you have more than 1? Why would I
> care what make my one and only DVD ROM is? All I would know is that its the
> DVD ROM. Using the names may be useful if you have more than 1 - but then
> again what if you have 2 that are the same make? "NEC DVD 1" and "NEC DVD
> "? Then surely just "DVD 1" and "DVD 2" would be better.

Hmm. you're right. Probably, in the end it doesn't matter if DVD1 is a NEC and
DVD2 is a sony...

On another line... I think a generic device icon would be useful. I'm thinking
about the case where /dev/sda1 is used for usb sticks, cameras and mp3
players and the user ahs it displayed on the screen. as i don't own a camera
or mp3 player i don't know if plugging in the same usb port will result in
identical sdaX node (so i'm probably ranting here :) )

> > ... (I yet have to figure out something sensible for HDD's :) )
> > This way, one could have a "getName()" for every device and get its info
> > from /proc (I think). Upon device status change, getName can update the
> > name in
> >
> > various ways:
> >  - scan /proc for update (usb,1394...)
> >  - scan freedb/movie etc databases for cd/dvd
> > ..and so on
> >
> > I'd really like to have something like
>
> Yuck! I personally hate it whan the name changes! But I gess that's just
> me...

i hate it too, but i do because the whole screen flickers... i'd like however
to be notified of the change in a more meaningful way than a green circle on
the icon. Probably changing the icon based on the mimetype/content somehow..?
and along this line... some mini icons with type associated to devices (small
photo, musical note etc) which can be super-imposed on the device icon a la
gnome would be nice (might be already implemented...)

Laur