List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kwindecoration 'usability' changes
From:       Karol Szwed <kszwed () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-07-29 12:29:04

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 05:07 am, you wrote:
> On Sunday 27 July 2003 06:02, Karol Szwed wrote:
[snip]
> > 2. Was it tested before committing? (see #61140)
[snip]
> i've taken a look at the bt on 61140 and i really doubt it has anything to
> do with my changes, esp since i haven't changed any of the actual library
>
> i do have a diff locally here to CVS where i move the "plugin = 0;" up to
> right after the delete... i just committed that.. though i doubt that would
> make a difference, both by looking at the code and since that's the way it
> was when i worked on it IIRC...
>
> what makes you think 61140 is related to my changes?

Well, without looking in detail at the changes:
a) The Kwindecoration prior to these changes doesn't crash KControl when
changing decorations. (just tested head against 2003-06-01 version with the
same results).
b) The backtrace points to the KWinDecorationModule.
c) The bug reports arrive soon after these changes were made.

Without looking in detail, it seemed pretty convincing to me, that's why I
pointed it out. Then again, it may not be related at all...

> > 3. Was it agreed upon by any of the kwin maintainers?
>
> the changes were cosmetic, i wasn't aware i'd have to go through the kwin
> maintainers since i assumed they were busy with kwin itself rather than
> widget rearrangements in kcontrol itself.

That's exactly my point. I'm working on getting a new KWin style API ready for
3.2 (and i'm already way over my ETA for completion.) Now there's some crash
bug reports in a module I maintain that I have to waste my time on (because I
care!) instead of working on KWin. It happened first with kcmstyle, and now
with kwindecoration. I'm not blaming anyone as bugs are an inevitable part of
development, but I'd much rather have been contacted first.

It seems weird to me that maintainers don't get any say in the usability
aspects of the code they maintain before 'usability' changes are made.

> > I will be incorporating a window deco preview into kwindecoration which
> > means i'll need the configure tab back... whoops.
>
> how big is this preview that it requires another tab? do you have a mockup
> or size requirements in mind?

It'll be about the same size as the kwinstyle preview, and it will use the
same layout - combobox above, preview below. To be consistent with kcmstyle
there will also be a "Configure" button to launch a dialog for the deco
settings. I personally think the current layout of 'configure' plugin under
the combobox is a really bad idea, as the layout of kwindecoration appears
random - dependent on which deco you're using. That's partly why I emphasised
'usability' in the subjects of these emails.

> > I fully agree with usability changes to improve a user's experience, but
> > I'd hope there is more communication between the usability team and
> > module maintainers so we can avoid contention. A simple email to the kwin
> > mailing list with "Hey, the usability team is recommending these changes,
> > any objections to this patch?" would be great! :)
>
> this was a patch that was discussed with several other developers on IRC.
> nobody even mentioned the idea that such changes would require going
> through the kwin maintainers. if you were upset by this, i apologize. i
> also think that if that is the case, you're over-reacting.

I'm not at all upset. In fact, I really appreciate your extremely important
usability work throughout KDE, which I'm sure most people would agree, has
benefited KDE immensely.

All I wanted to point out here is that it would be nice to be able to approve
(non-trivial / usability) changes first, otherwise what's the point of
maintaining a piece of code if you can't easily control what changes go in
it?

Had it been run past the kwin mailing list I'd have responded with "I'm not
convinced this improves usability..", "if the usability team still thinks
this is a good idea, please change this in the kwin_iii branch, as head is
essentially dead" and "I'm going to change this in the very near future so
these changes probably won't be necessary".

Anyway, much ado about nothing, I guess.

Cheers,
Karol