List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDM : More ergonomic and fast "Shutdown" and "Restart"
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <sebastien.laout () tuxfamily ! org>
Date:       2003-07-23 20:31:04

> * If wanted, the restart and shutdown could have a simple "Are you sure ? Yes
> or No" dialog for confirmation, with eventually a "Do not ask after" checkbox
> for fast up later shutdowns / restarts (or configurable "Ask confirmation
> ?").
>
> I think configurable is the only good solution because otherwise everyone can
> dissable this confirmation dialog systemwide...
Yes, better choice.
KDMconfig : "Ask confirmation before shutdown or restart : YES or NO".
To avoid click mistakes, we can put these buttons more isolated than the
rest (as xp do) ?

> * To speed up restart, thhe Ctrl-Alt-Del dialog in KDE (not KDM) could also
> perform a combobox to choose the OS to restart (or to restart the X server) :
> no need to back to KDM for restart Windows (yes : it's bad :-) but some
> peoples have dual-boot).
>
> And also an option to go to standby mode and all these new ACPI features in
> KDE3.2 and Linux2.6. Of course all the options in that dialog must be grouped
> in a good way.
Yes. I keep other persons to do that : I don't know more...
What KDE3.2 / Linux2.6 provide ?
- standby-on-disk
- and ?

> I also like to see icons near the different options. I think we have to make
> all important things also visible by an icon so that people who can't read
> also can access the computer easily. I also like some icons in kdm (see
> beneath).
Yes. More nice. Of course configurable because some users can't bear
these icons.
In my actual KDE I've activated icons near buttons : more pleasant.
Why not in KDM...

> >The first thing I purpose is, if users can log in without password, select
> >the user when mouse move on the icon and dirrectly log in if the user click
> >on his icon : no click on "Enter !" needed (speed up log in step).
> >Of course, make this configurable if users want the old login mechanism (two
> >click needed + mouse mouve).
>
> This isn't a good idea IMO. Users should have the possibility to cancel the
> login if they click on the wrong person. Maybe some people like it, but the
> standard action should be like now.
Hum... See with this angle...
I purposed that to have only one click, as Windows xp (again this OS!).
But with the near fields, users can espere to fill they after clicking
on icons, but the session will imediatly start.
Two solutions : they see that they musn't click (and remarq that the
user is selected when mouse over) and will do with that later, or...
they are confusing :-)
I haven't think to that. So, no a default option (but may/must exist) or
short explicative text under the icon box (or a short Welcome text that
explain).

> >The four buttons
> >    * "Enter !" and "Clear" are good.
>
> I think "Start !" or maybe "Start <selected windowmanager>!" in place of
> "Enter !" better. Also "Reset" in place of "Clear" is better IMO.
Could be good, yes.

> IMO we have to place the most important actions at the outside and make them a
> little bit bigger than the 2 buttons in the middle. I also like to see some
> more visualization of the 2 most important buttons at the outside. An icon
> like mentionned before and/or maybe some background collor?
>
> Start ! --> Reset --> Restart... --> Shutdown
>
> I also like to see icons for every window manager in "session type" that
> represents the window manager. We can use the "official" logo's for each
> window manager.
Could be good. But a supplement of work for add these icons.

> >Would be good if I can choose numeric, analogic or simple for the clock type,
> >as clockpanelapplet.
> >The date display is also a good feature.
>
> I think we should use the same configuarion dialogs and "clock code" as the
> clockpanelapplet to make it more consitent.
Yes : better (of course : more configurable), a clock is a clock and if
theire configuration isn't the same users can be confused.

> Some other things:
>
> o After selection the session type it would be nice if the cursus goes
> automatically to the Password box. (one click less)
>
> o Automatically focus the cursor in the Password box after selecting a user
> with the icons left.
>
> o I also noted many usability issues in kdm's KControl module. I will start a
> new thread about this one of these days (or even weeks ;) ).
I agree too.

But now, we must find any people that can make these changes ! I can't.
It's begin to be a lot of things !!