List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Update on Control Center
From:       David Hugh-Jones <hughjonesd () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-07-17 13:45:53

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 14:23, William Leese wrote:
> On Thursday 17 July 2003 15:19, David Hugh-Jones wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 13:53, William Leese wrote:
> > > The argument to have changes applied instantly:
> > >
> > > It's how we manipulate physical objects so it's a familiar concept: you
> > > do something, and immediately you a response and can decide if you did
> > > the right thing or not. The short feedback loop will often allow you
> > > learn and work more efficiently. Or rather, it'll feel less cumbersome. A
> > > bit like how users prefer native applications vs. web applications: those
> > > few milliseconds that the page needs to do a transition is bothersome.
> >
> > There are quite a lot of cases where if things are applied instantly,
> > the system will be in an in inconsistent state. E.g. changes to network
> > settings: DNS, DHCP etc. all have to be changed to a new setting
> > together.
> >
> > It seems better to have just one method not two separate ones, so I
> > think we have to stay with the more cumbersome system.
>
> The cases you seem to have in mind are those that occur rarely. How often does
> a user change his network settings manually? Name any other case and I'm
> pretty sure each one will fall into the same category: settings the user
> shouldn't have to change regularly.

Possibly, but that isn't the issue. When they do have to be changed,
they have to be changed all at once. So either we have two mechanisms
for applying preferences, which is going to be confusing, or we have to
stick with the one mechanism.

Also, rather a lot of these changes take several seconds to apply and
involve redrawing the screen. E.g. desktop changes. That won't be
pleasant if it happens every time a widget is changed and loses focus.

Dave