List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Update on Control Center
From:       Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze () pandora ! be>
Date:       2003-07-16 11:58:17

Op dinsdag 15 juli 2003 20:34, schreef Vincent Wagelaar:
<snip>
> As already discussed before. We need to reduce the number of items in the
> control panel, there are lot's of modules that are application specific:
> Web Browser
> CD Bake Oven
>
> Some modules could be combined:
> System Bell and System Notifications

Agree.

> Panels in section Destop and in section Appearance and themes

Maybe.

> Ok let's see if we get some structure:

<snip>

> [Desktop]
> Behavior
> Multiple Desktops
> Panels <-- another panel options???

I don't know.

> Size & Orientation << Hardware

I think we have to put all hardware specific things in another application
than KControl because KControl function is to configure the DE part of KDE;
not to configure/admin system hardware. This new application can be called
e.g. "khardware" and it's function is then "configuring hardware". Also
hardware vendors can (and will) make modules for it (especially if we
standardise it via freedesktop.org). For more information about this you can
read my messages in the previous thread about KControl.

So, this modules could be one of the modules that fits in khardware. :)

> [Internet & Network]
> Desktop Sharing << application

yes.

> Email  << what programs use this (not KMail)

This is also used by other KDE applications, but it will be better if we can
make that this settings applies systemwide IMO.

> File Sharing << application

yep.

> Local Network Browsing << konqueror

yep.

> Local Network Chat << application

idd, this has to be removed from KControl IMO.

> Preferences << konqueror ??

I don't know what all the options are for but in fact these are all advanced
options.... I think that the Passive modus option can be placed under
advanced settings of KControl if we can make that this applies systemwide.

> Proxy << konqueror

If we can make it possible to set here systemwide proxy settings (if they also
applies for (all) other browsers/apps than konqueror) it can be a part of
KControl IMO.

(I suggested already in the previous thread to make these dialogs (and more)
availible in another app than KControl: called maybe "kadmin" because for
some people it can be useful to have this dialogs on a central place. See my
posts in that thread why.)

<snip>

> [Peripherals]
> Keyboard
> Mouse
> Printers

The section of kdeprint to admin printers (adding, removing, installing
drivers,...) fits better in a separated application called e.g. "khardware".

> Section Hardware
> -----------------------------------
> [Power Control]
>
> Monitor ?? Display Power Control ?? Multiple Monitors
> Laptop Battery
> Sound System

This whole section fits for khardware.

<snip>

> [System Administration]
> Date & Time
> Font Installer
> Login Manager
> Paths
> Sony Vaio Laptop Hardware Configuration

I don't know what this is but I think a module that fits for khardware :)

> User Account

- --
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.