List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror delete unification
From:       David Hugh-Jones <hughjonesd () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-07-16 11:59:51

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 12:19, Eron Lloyd wrote:

> Hmm...well, my take on it is this:
> 1. Mozilla is the actual competitor in our "market" (haven't seen IE run in
> UNIX/Linux yet)
> 2. You can't take market-share from IE without replacing the full desktop
> *and* OS, too ;-)

Exactly! ;-)

> 3. Following IE's model lead to confusion and menu bloat in the first place
> (see the Encoding entry in IE)

I have very few grouses against IE, actually, I think it is one of their
flagship products and those ain't bad. But this is offtopic.

> > I suggest the following:
> > > Up
> > > Back
> > > Reload
> > > Stop
> > > ---------
> > > Add To Bookmarks
> > > ---------
> > > View Document Source
> > > View Document Info
>
> To add to this:
>
> 1. When hovering on a link, Copy Link Location, Save Link As..., and possibly
> Open In New > (Tab, Background Tab, Window) should be available
>
> 2. When hovering over an image, Copy, Save Image As.., View Image (img_name),
> and possible Copy Image Location should be available

Yeah, I think that is probably right. I would like to ditch "Copy image
location". When links are also images, you end up  with about 5 "copy"
items on the RMB, which is confusing.

> I don't think either of us have empirical data to support our ideas ;-)
> However, if you look at any browser's RMB you will see at least Back,
> Forward, and Reload on the top. Up is quite handy for me, but I'm willing to
> compromise. Stop may be unnecessary, also.

I'd still prefer to ditch them all except back. I use forward and reload
about 1/10 of the time I use back. (And I do have some evidence about
this, that back accounts for c. 25% of all mouse actions - see Don't
Make Me Think!)

> > > 2. Tab elements are a power user feature and should not exist in the RMB
> >
> > Hmm. Not sure about this. I suspect the best thing is to have either
> > "New window/new tab" depending on a general "prefer tabs/prefer windows"
> > configuration setting, but this is complicated and needs further debate.
>
> See above under menu additions. I don't mind keeping these options *only* if
> you are selecting a link. Also, what do you think about making the "Open In
> (Tab|Bg. Tab|New Window)" a submenu? Or perhaps an option for the default
> action is a solution.

I am wary of RMB submenus. It's not always wrong, but it isn't very
pleasant. I think we can certainly have a config option for "open new
tabs in foreground/background". I doubt if we'll manage to just have an
overall default for where to open new windows, though. Too many sites
want to open small windows.

(I saw that Microsoft idea, mentioned recently, where they have a
default action but you can always click on the right of the menubar to
choose what it should be... not sure I buy it but will wait till I can
try it out.)

But I agree, only for a link. In general, I think that the RMB options
should only be for what is relevant to a particular item under the
mouse. (With an exception for "back" as it is a _very_ common action.)

> And just that one GIF, not the whole page of dancing bears which is flooding
> your CPU? :-)

Well, I would prefer just turning off individual annoying animations
from the RMB, and an option to disable them all on the main menu. But
whatever, so long as it only appears when you hit an animated gif or at
least an image.

> Thanks. I'll have to start checking out CVS regularly...I though Shred was
> removed because it was a bad idea anyways (since it doesn't really do it's
> job...)

Everyone seems agreed on this but I am not sure it has been done yet.

> > Ditching all the navigation apart from "back" seems a good idea to me
> > and various others. I foresee a fight here.
>
> No need for a fight...let's work as a usability team!

(Laughs hollowly) Check out bug 56922, my friend. Believe me, if we
removed an option "click here to be anally penetrated by a man in a goat
suit", thousands of Furries would complain.

Dave