List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror delete unification
From:       David Hugh-Jones <hughjonesd () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-07-15 22:59:58

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 20:20, Henrique Pinto wrote:

> Agreed. What we need is a better Trash Can implementation, with an option so
> it can be deactivated. Please don't force me to use keyboard or the menubar
> to delete files, or move them to the trash. The RMB menu is not a problem. It
> contains the most commonly used entries, as it is expected to do. If you want
> to improve Konqueror's usability, please take a look at the menu bar.

The RMB menu is a problem. It contains vastly too many items. See the
konqueror usability report for exact details of how many items, but
roughly speaking, 20 for a file and 15 for an HTML view.

Apple HIG:
" Include a small subset of the most commonly used commands in the
appropriate context. For example, Edit menu commands should appear in
the contextual menu for highlighted text, but not a Save or a Print
command."

Gnome:
"Popup menus need to be as simple as possible to maximize their
efficiency. Do not place more than about ten items on a popup menu, and
do not use submenus."

Microsoft:
"Keep the length and depth (use of submenus) of a shortcut menu as small
as possible. Limit the items you include on the menu to common, frequent
actions. "

I don't think anyone would claim that the current context menus satisfy
this.

> Just one more thing: having code ready was cited in another message as a
> reason to apply the patch. How can one believe this? I think that the root of
> this problem is our poor implementation of the trash. That's what needs to be
> redesigned, not Konqueror's context menu...

Clearly, having code ready isn't a killer reason. But however we
reimplement the trash, we will still need a UI for it.

Dave