List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror - suggestions
From:       David Hugh-Jones <hughjonesd () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-07-13 1:20:17

On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 17:22, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> "No one expects the Spanish inquisition!" ;-) but seriously, and to play the
> devil's advocate, i don't know how terribly confusing it would be. in fact,
> it may be immediately apparent to users due to being a reflection of the
> toolbar and that the right click menu is a power user feature anyways.
>
> > makes clicking much more difficult and not than easier
> > (Fitts law)
>
> well, the first item would still be (close to being) under the mouse, and one
> could make the icons 22x22 or what-have-you and thereby increase the target
> size.
>
> this would also be balanced out by the fact that they would be similar to the
> toolbar and make the menu smaller.
>
> > and is not that easy to implement, since QPopupMenu and friends
> > do not support this.
>
> actually, this wouldn't be too hard with QPopupMenu at all, as you can insert
> widgets into a menu. so you create a widget with the four icons, mimicking
> the toolbar look, and pop it in as the first item.

It is an interesting idea. I desperately want to unclutter the RMB
menus, but I find the RMB navigation buttons quite useful. Logically,
they shouldn't be there at all (as they apply to the whole view and not
to a particular clickable part of it), but in practice....

OTOH, I think just having _one_ RMB menu which acted like this would be
very non-standard. The ideal thing, if it were seen as a good idea,
would be to have several apps using this feature, and code it as a part
of kdelibs: a "RMB toolbar/menu combo".

Hmm. No, it's no good. It's a mixed metaphor.

I suggest a simpler option. 90% of the time I am just looking for "back"
(and the "Don't make me think" guy says that this accounts for ~30% of
all user clicks while surfing). Let's ditch the other options entirely.

David