List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Sound System Control Center Module (was Re: Konqueror security
From:       Henrique Pinto <stampede () coltec ! ufmg ! br>
Date:       2003-06-30 23:34:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 29 June 2003 22:36, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> usability isn't always aesthetics...

I totally agree...

> cool... a few kcms have gotten love in the past here, so it's very do-able
> and most welcome.

One of the modules I think need great redesign is "Sound System".
Non-experienced users may have trouble using it, as some of the options are
really cryptic. This module can be greatly simplified, but i'm having trouble
thinking what to do with the advanced options. Below is a review of the aRTs
tab. I won't comment on the MIDI tab, as it seems someone else is taking care
of MIDI support, and I think that includes this tab, too. The "Sound I/O" tab
is cryptic as a whole.

I have thought about something like this:

[X] Enable soundserver
	[   ] Auto suspend if idle for [           ] seconds.
					( Test Sound )

	System Volume [-----------------<>------------------] [   ] Mute
	Balance            [-----------------<>------------------]

Not really good design, but illustrates what I think might be in. Suggestions
welcome.

--

Sound System Control Center Module
----------------------------------

aRTs Tab
--------

Start aRts soundserver on KDE startup:
	A useful option, altough a little bit like the "enable cookies" option. The
name does not sound good, though.

Enable network transparency:
	Do people visit the kcm routinely to modify this? I've asked some people, and
they don't even know what "network transparency" is. Definately a candidate
for being moved...

Exchange security and reference info over the X11 server:
	If people don't know what "network transparency" is, shoud we expect then to
understand this?

Run soundserver with realtime priority:
	I know what "realtime priority" means. You know what "realtime priority"
means. But do people who only use the computer for reading mail and browsing
the net know that? This is another option that falls under the category of
"Advanced Settings".

Autosuspend if idle for... :
	Couldn't this be guessed? Is there really need for such a thing?

Display messages using... :
	The same as above.

Message display:
	This looks like a "debug"-like option. I don't thing there is need for such a
thing. (Yes, I know users should be warned on error, but would anyone,
besides developers, want debug messages?)

Test Sound:
	OK. It works. It is useful. I don't think it should be moved

Conclusion:
	Much things here are meaningless for most users (developers not included). I
propose a great cleanup here. I don't know yet what to do with the "Advanced
Settings" (I don't know whether a separate dialog is a good choice at all). I
think that adding simple system volume and balance settings may be a good
idea (this is based on my mother's answer to the question "Where would you
look if you want to configure volume?". I know about the existence of KMix.).

--
	Henrique Pinto
	stampede@coltec.ufmg.br