List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: New theme loader and pixmap styles.
From:       Alessandro Rossini <aronnax () tortoreto ! it>
Date:       2003-06-28 19:25:38

> Good idea overall; but running scripts from tarballs is IMHO not a good
> thing; people don't check signatures or anything like that for this stuff,
> so this would be an easy way to get someone to execute commands... If the
> structure is defined, the program can take care of the install
> automatically.. Also, the .themerc filename MUST be in lower case for it to
> be loadable.

The document I've wirtten is dated 2001...that's the reason why in this
document are mentioned intsall-scripts.
In the previous mail I explained that continue uploading tarball with scripts
inside is an horrible thing! People get confused from that, 'cause there're
different script for every pixmap style.
The way users install icons themes is the correct way: dowload the tarball and
then load it with the control center, no scripts are compressed in the
package.
This is what I'd like to see for pixmap styles. I think that writing a C++
routine for that is not so difficoult, but I'm not an experienced C++
programmer, expecially with Qt :(
The work could be done for IceWM window decorations, that already have a
pre-defined direcotory structure.

Regards.
--
class Signature {