List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Keyboard configuration is a non-feature
From:       Stefan Heinzmann <stefan_heinzmann () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-06-18 17:15:52

Hi all,

I just got through a configuration orgy associated with KDE
on a remote Xterminal (Actually Win2K/cygwin/Xfree86). And I
came to question the wisdom of the KDE programmers when it
comes to keyboard configuration. I wonder whether they
considered remote terminals.

Here's the problem: The keyboard layout is a property of the
keyboard that is connected to the X server. When running
remote KDE sessions then it would be wise to inherit the
keyboard settings from the Xterminal rather than setting them
according to the KDE configuration. My little network for
example has a Win2K machine with a US keyboard and a Linux
box with a german keyboard. How do I set up KDE when I want
to work either locally on the Linux box or remotely using an
Xfree86 server on the Win2K box? The keyboard setting is
always going to be wrong for one of the two.

I can't believe that was intentional!

Cheers
Stefan