List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Themes KCM
From:       b.walter () free ! fr
Date:       2003-06-02 9:05:34

Hello Tim !

> One problem that your UI has is that it mixes an editor and a selector
> for themes. If you are not prepared for this (and at least for me
> it took a while... ), the dialog becomes very difficult to understand.
> Then the "Save" button implies that you need to save the theme after
> selecting it. And "Install new..." may imply that you need to click
> it if you want to change the theme.

What about forgetting the tabs and only keep the "Description" which would be a
simple text (label) and would describe the content of the selected theme :

Style : Lite v3, Window Decoration : Quarz
Icons : Crystal, Colours : Redmond XP

And add a button "Modify" which would bring another dialog for modification ?
The problem with this design would be that the same preview can't be used
anymore for Theme Selection and Theme Modification (as another windows is
used). Anyway it is not so bad to have an additional dialog for this goal, this
is not such a current task and it is more important to make it possible to
quickly/easily select a theme.

> IMHO "Install new" should be renamed to "Import", "Load from file" or
> something like this, then it should be obvious what it does.

Agreed.

> It should
> be impossible to change the existing default themes but only to create
> new ones or derive custom themes from them. Otherwise it is too
> easy for a user to get to a "point of no return" where the original
> themes can not be restored anymore.

It is not yet implemented, but the idea is to switch to <Current Theme> as soon
as you modify an existing Theme, waiting for "Save" to give it a new name (or
replace an existing theme). I agree it should not be possible to modify a
default theme (as it is with the current configuration KCM for colour Schemes).
To avoid confusion, it should be possible to have a "Save as..." and a "Save"
button, the latter being disabled when a "default" theme is selected.

Thanks for the comments,
Benoit.