List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Observations on the new KWord startup dialog
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2003-05-27 10:25:01

Le Mardi 27 Mai 2003 06:54, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :

>   http://urbanlizard.com/~aseigo/snapshot1.png
>    http://urbanlizard.com/~aseigo/koffice_open.ui

Why should I get the choice between A4 / Legal / Letter size of paper ? In
France, you can't buy in a shop Legal size paper only A4 and I guess in North
America it is the opposite. You should be able to change the size of the
paper in a Option dialog (you do it once in a while) or with a wizard but not
in a startup dialog where if you fumble and press by mistake the wrong size
you'll finish with strange problems when you start printing.

>  b) when the Open Existing File button is clicked the current dialog
> disappears and is replaced with a stand alone KFD. this would leave us with
> the quandry of what to do if the user presses Cancel in the KFD (probably
> just treat it as if they pressed Cancel in the koffice open dialog, but
> another possibility is to go back to the koffice dialog first...)

I think it is the best solution. The user will understand than pressing the
'Open existing file' is the same action than doing File-->Open. The same
action should bring the same widget.

Cheers,
Charles
--