List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: fonts control center module improvement
From:       John Levon <levon () movementarian ! org>
Date:       2003-05-24 19:11:27

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 08:33:35PM +0200, Luciano wrote:

> So far, I played with the UI, I am going to implement the real stuff soon.
> A snapshot of what the dialog will look like is at
>
> http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=6281

Does "Remove Scheme..." really bring up another dialog ? Why ?
If it doesn't, the ellipsis is wrong.

There is no visual association with the scheme selector and the actual
items contained within the scheme (which I assume are the fonts above.
For example, there's no way to work out if the anti-aliasing settings
are in the scheme or not (I guess not, but the user should not have to
guess, they shoould be given visual hints).

What is the use case for "Import Scheme" ? Will drag and drop work ?

Why does Save Scheme exist at all ? You already have a "Cancel" button.
The scheme should be saved on clicking OK, and changes abandoned on
Cancel.

How does a user create a *new* scheme ?

I'm not sure the repetition of "Scheme" in the scheme group box is a
good idea. The visual context should disambiguate...

One possibility would be :

 |--Font Scheme------------------------------------------------------
 |  -----------------
 |  | My Scheme  |\/|
 |  -----------------

 |  General: | .....  |

 |                                                |New| |Import... | |

 | [x] Use anti-aliasing for fonts + rest

 | Help | ...

regards
john

p.s. what does the mnemonic for An_t_i-Aliasing actually do ? It seems
a bit odd for a group box.