List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [Patch] #29984 Change file permission using octal numbers
From:       Tim Jansen <ml () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2003-05-18 16:43:58

On Sunday 18 May 2003 17:43, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> quite interesting... perhaps in the case that the file uses advanced
> permissions, the advanced permissions widgets should be shown directly in
> the Access Permissions groupbox to save the user an extra click?

This would have three disadvantages:
1. It would not shield users from things like SetUID and the sticky bit that
most users do not understand (and even developers BTW, no one on #kde-devel
was able to tell me what SetUID does on a directory :)
2. I don't know a good way to get back to the simple permission widget when
the "irregular" permission has been removed
3. Either there would be two ways to get the permission matrix: by clicking
the advanced button from the simple widget, which shows the matrix in an
extra dialog, and by opening properties for a file with 'irregular'
permissions, which would show the matrix embedded. Or it must be possible to
switch from the simple widget to the permission matrix and vice versa, and I
dont know how to do this.

> and since we are getting rid of jargon, i wonder if there is a sensible
> alternative to "Is Executable"? i can't think of one that is concise and
> useful, but thought i'd raise the topic anyways =)

That was my problem :)
My best idea was "Is Program", not sure whether this is helpful though... I
think that it is needed in the simple dialog though, since it is frequently
required when downloading installation scripts. Unless, maybe, someone tells
me an easy way to find out whether a KFileItem is an executable (either ELF
binary or #! script). Then it could be hidden for all others.

bye...