List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Docking toolbars to the MacOS style menubar?
From:       Maynard Case <maynard () case ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-04-15 21:15:23

On Tuesday 15 April 2003 9:06 pm, Alistair Davidson wrote:
> Michael Pye wrote:
> > On Tuesday 15 Apr 2003 7:49 pm, William Leese wrote:
> >>I really think this is something that should be default because the
> >> initial loss is small compared to the gain. If someone feels responsible
> >> for KDE's usability then please comment. Can we get some kind of
> >> decision on this?
> >
> > To have mac style menu bar and also screen edged toolbars by default? No,
> > I wouldn't.
> >
> > Mainly because I find toolbars are quicker to access when they are
> > closer.
>
> The evidence from the menubar is that the majority of users access the
> Mac-style bar faster than the Windows-style one. I could be wrong, but I
> think it was 3 times faster. I don't see why this would be different for
> a toolbar.

In theory, this is because you can just slam your mouse pointer up to the top
of the screen and click, rather than having to aim for a particular area -
you just have to get the horizontal position right.

I do like this idea, but I think it could be a little confusing for people
more used to having menu bars stay inside the window. I'd like to also
mention that I dislike being able to drag menu bars (and toolbars) away from
the window (as happens in Windows) as I often find that I do this by accident
(when aiming for the File menu, for example).

Cheers,
Maynard