List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Docking toolbars to the MacOS style menubar?
From:       William Leese <william () leese ! nl>
Date:       2003-04-15 18:49:41

On Tuesday 15 April 2003 20:01, Bob Ramsey wrote:
> Yeah, I agree.  But if the user finds it more comfortable to have a certain
> portion of the screen always set aside for the toolbars, then as an option
> for them it makes sense.  There are some good arguments for the mac way of
> doing things. I wouldn't make it the default though, since as an interface
> design choice it is no longer commonly used.

We're trying to make it as easy as possible for the average person to use a
computer. If this doesn't work because no one expects it and it's not
something people get used to easily, fine. But let's not throw sensible
usability decisions out of the window just because Microsoft did so.

I really think this is something that should be default because the initial
loss is small compared to the gain. If someone feels responsible for KDE's
usability then please comment. Can we get some kind of decision on this?

Regards,

William