List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: About the names of items in KDE Control Center.
From:       Poletti Don <Don.Poletti () comverse ! com>
Date:       2003-04-14 12:51:44

>1. Excuse me, what is the rationale behind the choice to put "window
>behavior" under the "desktop" menu, in the kde control center?

You are excused. :)

I suggest you check the archives first the layout of the control center
was discussed at length for 3.1 and 3.2.

Your question is either too hard or too easy to answer. The easy answer
is "because that is the most logical place". Please explain why you think
it doesn't belong or where you think it should belong for a better answer.

>2. Also, under "appearences and themes", I think the voice "style" is
>too generic. Maybe "widget style"? "Button and scrollbar style"?

Joe average doesn't know what a widget is so "widget style" is out. More
than just "buttons and scrollbars" are effected so that name no good. I
think
there is some agreement that just the name "style" is a bit weak but no one
has come with a better one yet.

>3. Similarly, the term "window decoration" is too generic. On expects
>to be able to customize the button and scrollbars looks from there,
>which is not possible.

The ability to change an entire theme sucks in KDE so we are left trying
to patch an imperfect system. I think this is a good name "decorations"
have a connotation that it is outside the window not changing the inside.

>More in general, I believe the separation between "window decoration"
>and "style" is unintuitive.  I'm aware there are technical reasons
>behind this separation (the window manager, I believe, only controls
>the appearance of the window frame, not the inner part), but on the
>other hand, these tecnhical difference should be hidden to the end
>users, since it is of no interest to them.

Same comment about no good overall way to theme KDE.