List:       kde-usability
Subject:    About Kicker ICON magnification and application description
From:       Carlos =?iso-8859-1?q?Uld=E9rico=20Cirello=20Filho?=
Date:       2003-04-09 17:49:35

(please, do not consider CAPITAL LETTERS as screaming).

Hello, ALL!

Well, first off, I'd like to say that I have spent many days working with Mac
OS X Jaguar. Observing this OS at office, and comming back at home play with
my Linux+KDE box, I felt few functionalities lacks that I think could be
useful to KDE usability project. It's a very simple one, and I believe it
could be scheduled to KDE 3.2

The very first thing regards about Kicker. I've seen on TODO list to KDE 3.2,
make it transparent -- fine. But, perhaps on the way of doing that, you folks
could make the programme name appears below the MAGNIFIED APPLICATION ICON
like Jaguar does. I defend this way following this argumentation:

NOWADAYS (as of 3.1.0 - conectiva linux 8 packages on a P4 1,6GHz 256MB)
- Standard Instalation: Icon does not zoom. A Brieft Description appears in
(after a very LONG delay) an yellow tag.

- Magnified Icon: Icon zooms. If it's the first icon zoom, delays a little;
zoom it,  then Brieft Description appears in (after a very LONG delay) an
yellow tag.

In my case, that I used MAGNIFIED ICONS and have MANY applications in my
Kicker bar, usually I waste about 2s~3s to know which one is the application
I want to load. I don't know about you guys, but I feel very much
not-comfortable with this wait.

Besides all that, a TINY ICON magnifies to SMALL ICON; SMALL ICON magnifies to
NORMAL ICON. OK! If we zoom icons to get more VISIBILITY what's the point in
a 1024X768 or greater screen to have TINY ICONS magnified just to SMALL
ICONS? It would, surely, achieve its goal much better if it magnifies ANYONE
to NORMAL or LARGE ICONS. It'd be much better whether it goes after the
following suggestion.

AS ON THE OTHER HAND the MAC OS X Jaguar does:

- STANDARD INSTALATION: TINY, SMALL, NORMAL icons ALWAYS MAGNIFY to LARGE
icons; having BELOW them INSTANT WRITTEN DESCRIPTION (instead of BIT DELAYED
YELLOW TAGS);

THUS, the icon magnification would work as its best! (AND would make me very
happy too :] ): QUICK AND CLEAN application FINDING AND OPENING.

Another thing that I felt, I say not necessary but would look great, is that
Programmes in the External Task Bar would be docked as ICONS, Magnified in
the same way as the applications would be. when the user mouses over the
docked application it would MAGNIFY and DISPLAY what is it all about...

I hope I am useful to your discussions. And these suggestions become (if not
used) some material of KDE evolution.

Best regards,

Carlos Uldérico Cirello Filho <ulderico@maber.com.br>