List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Delete, move and merge kedit, kate and kwrite
From:       Gav Wood <gav () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-04-06 0:20:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 05 April 2003 23:53, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> >"In general KDE consists only of SDI apps so Close is going to close the
> >current window (or windows alike widge like tabs) while Quit quits the
> >application as a whole"
>
> This reflects the truth, but why should the user be aware of the fact
> that, behind the scenes, there's a single application juggling with
> several documents?  To fully take advantage of a spatial SDI interface,
> there should not be a Quit option at all.  It's not like users regularly
> close 27 windows of the same application, and it permeates
> implementation details to the user.
>
> >close does not close a window, it closes a document.
> >quit doesn't not kill the process (or all the windows), it closes a
> > window.
> >
> >once everyone is on the same page regarding how Close/Quit actually works
> > then i'm personally more than excited to engage in both discussion and
> > work on the matter.
>
> Can't "Quit" go?  Close is very clear -> it closes the current Window,
> whatever that implies (closing the file, closing the system monitor,
> closing whatever).  Quit is redundant, and Quit is confusing: on first
> sight, how is the user going to know that Quit closes all documents of a
> certain type (say, text)?  Quit's behavior isn't evident from the word.
> Besides, in English, quit can mean "give up".

we have had a similar discussion in the kopete list.

essentially, i completely agree that quit is far too loosely defined to be
useful in an sdi context.

close is fine; quit should go - the only time it is useful is in the case of
closing a window which does not (necessarily) quit its application.

the only good example of this i can think of is in kopete, where closing the
contact list does not (by design) quit kopete, yet including a quit action in
the menu would probably be a good thing.

gav