List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Undo/Redo in kmail
From:       Mark Hillary <mark () no33 ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-03-31 14:10:43

Hi all,

Today I was playing with kmail and noticed some oddities in how it handles
undo/redo in its composer. This is with kde 3.1.1

The first is that when there is nothing to undo or redo (i.e. when the
composer if first opened) the undo/redo buttons are not disabled. Other KDE
apps seem to follow the behaviour of disabling them and this seems to make
sense to me.

The other is when copying and pasting text. When pasting some text over a
selection of text two undo actions are created. The first takes the composer
back to a state where both the new text and the old text are not entered and
the next one where the old text is entered. As the the process of pasting the
text over the old text is only one action then I think that only one action
should be created that can be undone. This also seems to be how other apps
handle the behaviour (i.e. kate, open office).

Thanks
Mark Hillary