List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Konqueror
From:       Benoit Walter <b.walter () free ! fr>
Date:       2003-02-28 12:54:47

Currently, there are 3 ways to open a file or directory :
- Open with Application
- Preview in Embedded Viewer
- Custom Actions (such as Browse with Pixie, Rotate image, ...)

When you select an image, the right-clic submenu would contain (for example) :
- Open with ->
      - The Gimp
      - GQView
      - KView
      - Pixie Plus
      - Other...
- Preview in->
      - KView
- Rotate ->
- Mirror ->
- Colours and Brightness ->
- Convert to ->

This example could only apply if the image manipulation functions are provided
but it would be possible (as well as other operations such as Create zip).

As the right-clic submenu is large enough, I have suggested to move the
actions into an Actions submenu (I think it was already discussed on the
mailing-list), which would look like :
- Open with ->
- Preview in ->
- Actions ->

I do not know if user testings have already been made, but I am not sure a new
user easily know which submenu he must use. Perhaps it would be a good idea to
merge the 3 submenus, or at least 2 of them (Open with and actions) ?

It would look like :
- Preview in ->
      - KView
- Actions ->
      - Open with the Gimp
      - Open with GQView
      - Open with KView
      - Open with Pixie Plus
      - Open with...
      -----
      - Rotate ->
      - Mirror ->
      - Colours and Brightness ->
      - Convert to ->

And another possibility would be to create a new GUI for actions (by modifying
the Edit File Type Dialog) which would allow to create custom actions, such
as :
( ) Open with...      [...]
(o) Custom
     Name : Rotate 90
     Command : ImageMagick -rotate 90 %f

(I know the previous command probably does not exist :-)

It would be nice if we could have a common idea, then I could begin to write
code...

Regards,
Benoit.

PS : Don't forget to look at the proposal for a konqueror menu reorganisation
at :
http://www.avenheim.online.fr/kfm.html
http://www.avenheim.online.fr/kfm-rmb.html