List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: concept: action area in konqueror
From:       "Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2003-02-27 23:06:30

Luke Chatburn wrote:

>Hi Manual...
>
>First of all, don't be so worried... I'm just hawking around a few ideas
>with intentional questions to move into other fields, so that it can provoke
>a few thoughts and questions about directions :)

And this is the great thing about mailing lists.  Had we not had the
long threads we had (the IRS started to collect taxes on the word "had"
just about now),this idea would have never come up, and we'd be at a
loss.  This cross-pollination of ideas is one of the things I love the
most about open source.

>We have two cases:
>1. In KFM: To display view-changing tasks

I get your point now.  Although I don't see the need for this, given
that we have at least two other ways of invoking the same actions in
this case - which is not true while previewing a file.

>2. In previews: To display view-changing tasks (zooming, etc.), options to
>carry out actions, such as 'Edit' and warnings ("This is a preview!").

I think we already have zoom in/out actions.  Perhaps we need to connect
the slots where they correspond programmatically speaking.

>I'm just toying with a third case:
>3. Adding actions for filetypes when they are selected in KFM. This has
>advantages and drawbacks as Aaron said.
>
>Either way, if it is permanent, it takes up display space, and people may
>not like that, so we would need an option to add it or remove it. (Something
>to note, is that we are interested in the idea precisely because it has
>potential to congregate options of this type that users sometimes find hard
>to find!).

Which prompts us to the need of cleaning up menus.  Perhaps the edit
menu needs a clean up to avoid us having to program *another* action
access metaphor.

> The other option is to have it there by default and retractable,
>like the sidebar can be, essentially. It's a QSplitter job, and it is very
>simple to implement.
>
>Even if people want it, though, they will want to hide it sometimes for some
>tasks and bring it out for others, so it does have merits as a QSplit.
>
>I appreciate that people are aiming for the first two cases, but I think
>there are merits for using it for informational tasks (replacing some status
>bar functions, a DnD drop area, task help, etc.). I spend most of my time
>developing PHP-based dynamic db web sites, which are user-content heavy. A
>desktop environment is similar in that regard, since it is so user-data and
>activity-centric. However, there is great use in my web sites for adding
>spaces where static content can be added (help, info, etc.) and that allows
>a degree of user informing and channeling. Konqy in its many modes has a
>wonderful range of features, but the issue is that there are so many that
>some obvious and immediately useful actions are lost in the crowd, so to
>speak. The bar allows us to hand a list of actions (display options),
>meta-data and instructions to the user in a useful, contextual manner and
>say "Here... Take a look at these. They might be useful.". Windows XP failed
>in this, simply because the "Take a look at these" part got lost (was too
>small, non-graphical for the most part and in a bad position).
>
>We have a great range of features, but they exist waiting for the user to
>find them. Topics of discussion in recent times have been about how to
>effectively organise functions so that users have a far better chance of
>stumbling across them, putting them in the most intuitive places, so that
>they are there at the first place the user searches for. That said, putting
>LMB = open/action, MMB = Edit for KFM helps, and users will work that out,
>but it's still not as helpful as having a space to say "Double click to
>preview, middle-click to edit".

We still haven't addressed the thing about keyboard users and access to
that window area.  They'd be served alright by the menus and context
menus, but a good rule of thumb is that if something is visible and
activatable upon, there has to be keybaord access. the GNOMErs are just
about now discussiong how to provide keyboard access to Nautilus and
GNOME toolbars.