List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: priority of ksysguard
From:       "Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2003-02-27 21:03:32

Wait.  Several flaws with the design of the solutions:

Doesn't ksysguard operate by remote-controlling a daemon ksysguardd?
 Then the *daemon* should have the higher priority.
Doesn't X run with normal or slightly higher but not max priority?

Even if you get ksysguard or its daemon to max priority, in this
particular scenario you won't be able to kill the process smoothly, like
you do in Windows.  Here's why:

what you had with your camera prob was not that the CPU got maxed, but
rather that the hard disk thrashed because of lack of RAM: memory
starvation.  The disk is maxed out so opening another app calls for
pages in the virtual memory, but remember that the disk is maxed out.
 Thus opening ksysguard aggravates the problem: it might open but REALLY
slowly, and the disk operations are maxing the CPU itself, in desperate
search for free memory (RAM or virtual).  Thus you never get to see a
ksysguard (or rather after a couple of minutes).  When you see it, the
thrashing has got control of your machine, and interactive response is
extremely bad.  Then you kill the process and after like seems 15
minutes your OS can breathe.

This is an issue in Linux 2.4, of course.  I hear that the speeculative
scheduler helps in memory starvation and disk bandwidth starvation
situations.  It might do wonders.  If this is true, the higher priority
won't be needed at all.  Why?

The elevator algorithm in Linux for priorizing tasks penalize tasks that
are consuming too much CPU, *without regard* to priority.  So you might
have a process with nice -20, maxing the CPU, and you still should be
able to open ksysguard and kill it.  That is, assuming it's not I/O
bound or the machine isn't memory starved.

All other unices should be well.  I remember clearly that Linux 2.2
offered much better interactive response in memory starvation
situations.  What happened to that?  Dunno, but let's hope that the
latest and greatest scheduler and disk algorithms get into mainline so
we can enjoy that interactive response now.  And them patches evidently
will improve multimedia response too, lowering minimum latency.

luck,

       Manuel