List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: embedded viewer vs external program
From:       "Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2003-02-27 16:15:48

> *Filename Patterns - we provide sensible defaults, no need for most
> users to add anything to the list.
> *Description - How does the filetype description affect the users
> interaction with the file? Same as the first item really: we have good
> defaults, most people wouldn't want to change them. Creating your own
> file type however does require this field obviously.
> *Application Preference Order - It's unclear to me what this does
> other than potentially rearranging the menu items "Open With xxx" ? Or
> perhaps it's a "just incase one application isn't installed"
> workaround? I don't know. In anycase some improvement could be made here.

Yes.  May I suggest that this list and the Preview list are merged, and
instead they say:
------------------------
Preview in Konqueror
Open in XMMS
Open in RealPlayer
Preview in Kaboodle
------------------------
 I know this is more difficult, but from an user perspective, both
preview and open lists are talking about *what* happens when you
activate the file.
This means "Application Preference Order" has to be changed to something
along the lines of "Available actions for this file type"

> *Left Click Action - Ah! Finally we've found the most sought after
> option. Why not simply substitute this entire dialog and context menu
> entry, place this option in "Open With ..." in a box labeled
> "Konqueror" and be done with it?
> *Service Preference Order - Again, what does this do?
>
> Pardon the ranting tone, I'm just a little surprised to come across
> these kind of things :)

it's completely understood =)