List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: embedded viewer vs external program
From:       "Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2003-02-26 19:00:08

Neil Stevens wrote:

>It's configurable.

yep

> Set all types to standalone if that's what you want.

that's what I usually do, but it takes a kde restart to pick up this
change (I mean when I change in a MIME group).

>There are those with a taste different from yours who like it the way ti
>is, though, so there's no point in removing the option.

The option should stay, I agree.  I just feel the default is wrong, from
an usability perspective.  It's trivial to undo the default in a
1000-desktop deployment, but it's one more item in the SCM (software
configuration management, not source code management) development stage.
 And these kinds of small things are hard to keep track of, which
discourages rapid adoption of new versions/releases of KDE in corporate
settings =( and we really want to make sure everyone's using the latest
KDE eye candy!!! =).

Yes.  I balance my smilies so they close and open parentheses escapes.
 Luck!