List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror Menu Reorganisation
From:       Benoit Walter <b.walter () free ! fr>
Date:       2003-02-26 0:14:06

Am Tuesday 25 February 2003 01:30 schrieb Max Howell:

> I think it is important to always tell the user what he is going to paste
> into or delete, so perhaps the menu items could read:
>
> Open current directory with KDirStat>
> Open Documents directory with KDirStat>
> Edit -> Delete some_file.html

It would be a good way to help the user know what he is actually doing. The
problem is that it will be difficult to implement it cleanly, and some menu
items would be very large.
Of course we can trim the file name, but I don't think it would make things
much more clear... Perhaps we should write the file name only for file
deletion (which is dangerous !) or paste (which is sometimes unpredictable).

Examples :
Move "example.html" to Trash
Delete "example.html"
Delete 3 Files
Paste "sample.doc"

or
Delete Selected File(s)

> It is important to have consistency with the interface, but at the same
> time it is intuitive to act on the current directory when nothing is
> selected. Using descriptive menu entries could aid usability here. What do
> you think?

It can be confusing to use the same menu for the actions which apply to the
current directory and to the selected file(s). I think the current Konqueror
layout has a logic we should keep :
- Menu items in the "Location" menu apply to a view : create (new tab/window),
remove (quit, close tab), add (create file/directory).
- Menu items in the "Edit" menu apply to selected items (open, rename, remove,
properties, ...),  the 2 exceptions are undo and paste which are
traditionnally in this menu.

Regards,
Benoit.