List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Fwd: Re: Putting my money where my mouth is
From:       Tim Jansen <ml () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2003-02-23 19:48:34

YELL!

(forwarding mail from mosfet that the mailing list didnt want)

Subject: Re: Putting my money where my mouth is
Date: Sunday 23 February 2003 20:01
From: Mosfet <dan.duley@verizon.net>
To: Tim Jansen <ml@tjansen.de>

On Friday 21 February 2003 7:18 pm, Tim Jansen wrote:
> On Saturday 22 February 2003 01:46, Mosfet wrote:
> > Yep, this is something that definitely needs to be addressed. The reason
> > why no one uses it is because all the cool stuff such as Kermaik, Liquid,
> > and DotNet aren't included because they are not really themes but C++
> > styles. These need to be integrated. Ideally the theme manager should be
> > [..]
> > That part isn't too difficult. The more difficult part is installing a
> > style that is source code ;-) I should look at the Konstruct project...
>
> Is the problem that the Theme Manager is not able to handle a coded style
> like Keramik at all, or is the problem 'only' that an external style like
> Liquid can not be installed?
>
> I guess installing external coded styles is not possible as long as there
> is no KDE standard for distributing binaries...

Well handling a style that is already installed shouldn't be a problem at
 all. The problem as I see it is people are downloading C++ widget and window
 manager styles that are a source tarball or RPM. I'd say these are the most
 frequently downloaded "themes" these days so we have to figure out somehow
 to handle them.

The easiest option would be to include a themerc file for the style that is
installed when you either install the RPM or do a "make install". That way
when you installed a window manager or widget decoration it would appear in
both in the KControl module for that specific component *and* the theme
manager. This would be cool in other ways as well. For example Liquid looks
better in it's own color scheme than it does using the KDE default. I'd be
able to include that in the theme configuration when you select Liquid. You'd
also be able to activate the window manager and widget styles in one step.
Way easier for the user than selecting the liquid color scheme, then turning
on the widget style, then turning on the window manager style, etc... This
applies to other styles as well.

A more complex solution would be actually allow the theme tarball to include
the source for these items and try to build it ;-) That would be difficult
because all the distributions use different setups, (RedHat's fork, Mandrake
uses non-standard applnk files, etc...). Konstruct may be interesting to look
at but I don't think this will be able to be done for quite awhile.