List:       kde-usability
Subject:    kcontrol
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2003-02-21 20:54:12

Hello,

Currently in the Linux GUI world is small storm: more or better. I don't
have address it here but there are some places where kcontrol may be
improved:

1.
First screen:

There is window with text: Click "Help" tab .... Use the "Search" tab
..

Why don't put search window here? Why not replace this with question:

"What do you want to configure today?" and search window with big
"Search" button.

	a)
	If nothing is found, welcome screen should be replaced with list of
	sections: Appearance&Themes,Desktop and so on with short
	descriptions similar to that is shown when you choose one of these
	sections in left panel

	b)
	If there are few possible choises display them with short
	descriptions.

	c)
	If there is one match go there.

2.
Welcome screens in sections:

Links are not visible. Information above is not precise: Select an item
from the index on the left to load a configuration module. But you can
also click from the list in main part. But links "Background", "Colors"
etc. are not distinguished in any way. Choose color for red or make them
buttons. I discovered it only by accident. Also descriptions should be
links. Bigger is better. If in future in tree on the left will be
sublevels of 2nd or 3rd level here also should be search windows (maybe
restricted only to this section).

3.
Nodes in the tree of modules. I am not sure if I like closing of level
when clicking on open node.

4.
Search base is not complete and results are confusing. OK this
probably is rather bug than usability issue. I will say more is someone
ask ;)

Mikolaj

ps. MORE IS BETTER :)